The Army-Navy (AN) military standard—frequently mislabeled as the Air Force-Navy standard—was developed as a means to standardize equipment during World War II and mostly fell out of use in the decades following the war. While the bulk of AN standards have been replaced by the more modern Mil-Spec, a variety of bolts and other fasteners are still commonly produced to AN standards.
Fasteners are essential in a broad range of industries and applications for creating impermanent mechanical joints between objects. Army-Navy (AN) fasteners follow specific design standards that make them well-suited for use in the harsh and challenging environments found in military applications.
Quality When It’s Needed Most
AN hardware is manufactured to meet the requirements of demanding environments. These fasteners are used in space shuttles, aircraft, military vehicles, drones, and other high-performance equipment.
To meet AN standards, fasteners must adhere to rigorous manufacturing guidelines and quality control standards throughout the manufacturing process. The strict AN designation includes requirements for:
- Manufacturing methods
- Finishing processes
- Coating applications
Material options for army-navy bolts and fasteners include:
- Cadmium-plated, corrosion-resistant steel
- Zinc-plated corrosion-resistant steel
- Un-plated corrosion-resistant steel
Components that meet the AN standard offer a combination of characteristics not found in standard hardware. AN fasteners feature higher tensile strength and shear strength than common fasteners and are noticeably less brittle than SAE bolts. When overstressed, AN bolts will bend rather than break.
The military and defense contractors rely on AN fasteners to mitigate the risk of catastrophic equipment failures in critical moments. The AN designation ensures that precision hardware is designed and engineered to withstand the rigorous demands and stresses placed on military hardware and other critical equipment used in harsh operating environments.
Types of AN Fasteners
At Elite Fasteners, our portfolio includes a variety of fasteners made to AN specifications:
- AN cap screws. Though similar to hex bolts, AN cap screws are manufactured to tighter tolerances than corresponding bolts of other grades. Typically, cap screws are used in applications where one of the components has a threaded hole.
- AN washers. We offer AN washers in multiple design variations, including flat, split lock, screw, internal tooth lock, and external tooth lock.
- AN screws. Our product line includes AN machine screws without tapered ends for fastening machine components, as well as AN self-tapping screws with pointed tips that can create holes without a pilot hole. AN self-tapping screws are available with pan or round heads and compatible with most metal or plastic components.
- AN pins. These cylindrical fasteners connect equipment components and help to keep them properly aligned.
- AN bolts. Our AN bolts are used broadly across industries, including critical aircraft fastening applications. AN bolts are available in a wide range of lengths, grips, diameters, drilled heads, and shanks, with either coarse or fine threads.
- AN nuts. AN nuts pair with AN bolts to fasten equipment components and objects across industries.
- AN inserts. AN threaded inserts are cylindrical metal components inserted into an existing hole, providing a threaded track for bolts, screws, and other fasteners. AN inserts have an outer shell that locks in place and an inner threaded cavity to accept a threaded fastener.
- AN rivets. AN rivets support high-shear loads. A rivet is a smooth cylindrical shaft with a head on one end and a tail on the other. When installed in an existing hole, the tail is deformed to create a new head and hold two disparate components together.
Browse Our AN Fasteners Catalog Today
At Elite Fasteners, we have a combined 100 years of experience as a distributor of military and aerospace hardware. Our catalog includes a broad portfolio of AN standard fasteners, as well as many other types of fasteners designed to meet the needs of varying industries and applications. Our team strives to deliver the highest levels of quality, reliability, and customer service possible. We’re highly committed to continuous improvement and our processes and facility always adhere to stringent quality standards.